Recipes for Eye Health – Figs
While school holidays are a great time to spend quality time with the family, there is always the challenge for the kids getting bored and eating us out of house and home.
With this in mind today I am sharing a recipe from Flannery’s for a Fig and Cashew Paleo Bar. Easy to make so the kids can help, delicious to eat and full of antioxidants which is great for eye health.
Figs contain a good amount of Vitamin A, C & K. Vitamin A when in combination with other antioxidant vitamins such as C & K, plays a role in decreasing the risk of vision loss from macular degeneration (AMD). In the landmark Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS) sponsored by the National Eye Institute, people with mild or moderate AMD who took a daily multivitamin that included vitamin A (as beta-carotene), vitamin C, vitamin E, zinc and copper had a 25 percent reduced risk of advanced AMD during a six-year period.
These bars are vegan, gluten free, dairy free, egg free & paleo as well.
Fig and Cashew Paleo Bar
- 1 1/4 cup Flannerys Own Organic Figs (stemless)
- 2 cups Flannerys Own Organic Raw Cashews, plus extra for topping
- 1 cup Flannerys Own Coconut Chips, plus extra for topping
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, plus extra for topping
- 1/3 cup Flannerys Own Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Flannerys Own Cacao Powder
- Place figs, cashews, coconut, 1 tsp vanilla and salt in a food processor and blend until mixed well, but not pureed.
- Pour mixture into a lined baking dish and press down with a fork until mixture is flat.
- Mix the coconut oil, cacao powder and 1 tsp vanilla together in a small saucepan over a low heat until melted, then pour over the fig and cashew mixture evenly.
Sprinkle extra coconut, cashews and sea salt over the top of the icing and pop in the fridge for 2–3 hours or until hardened. Enjoy!
Every Thursday, our Envision Optical blog brings you ‘Nutrition Thursday’ – news about nutrition for your eye health. Keep an eye on our Facebook page and like us to receive the reminders once they are posted. Each week we also include a delicious recipe for you to make: www.facebook.com/envisionoptical