Recipes for Eye Health – Mango
Mango season is in full swing on the Gold Coast and the great news about this versatile fruit is that it is packed with ingredients vital to eye health.Mangoes are full of Vitamin C & A both essential for eye health. Vitamin C is a powerful Antioxidant, and is not synthesized in the body, so must be consumed daily in our diet. Vitamin C helps to reduce the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts, as well as maintaining healthy blood vessels including the delicate capillaries present in the retina. Vitamin A helps in the maintenance of a healthy ocular surface, helps prevent night blindness and is effective in the prevention of dry eyes.
Just one cup of sliced mango supplies 25 percent of the needed daily value of vitamin A.
While mangoes are delicious eaten on their own they can also be used in both sweet and savoury dishes. One of my favourite ways to eat mango is to combine it with the ultimate healthy eye food – Avocado – and make it into a salsa. This easy to make accompaniment can be added to salmon, tuna, tacos, chicken the choice is yours.
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1/ 2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- ½ bunch fresh coriander, (about ½ cup chopped)
- Juice of 1 medium lime (about 2 Tbsp)
- ¼ tsp salt and pinch of black pepper, or season to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine diced mango, avocado, finely chopped red onion and chopped coriander.
- Squeeze 2 Tbsp of fresh lime juice over the top and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently to combine and serve.
Every Thursday, our Envision Optical blog brings you ‘Nutrition Thursday’ – news about nutrition for your eye health. Keep an eye on our Facebook page and like us to receive the reminders once they are posted. Each week we also include a delicious recipe for you to make: www.facebook.com/envisionoptical