Recipes for Eye Health:Watermelon
Watermelon is one of those fruits that represent’s summer. It’s amazing pink colour, crunchy texture and refreshing sweet taste, makes it one of my favourite things to eat. The other thing I love about watermelon is it is a great food to include in your diet for healthy eyes.
Watermelon is packed with electrolytes (magnesium + potassium) that will keep your body hydrated during the summer months. It’s also an anti-inflammatory and high in vitamin C and carotenoids in particular Lycopene.
Research suggests lycopene, like lutein and zeaxanthin, helps reduce your risk of macular degeneration and cataracts later in life. Currently, there is no RDA for lycopene, but to achieve the health benefits of this and other phytonutrients, the National Academy of Science and other health-related organizations recommend that you include plenty of carotenoid-rich fruits and vegetables in your daily diet, which includes watermelon amongst a long list of nutritious functional food.
According to All About Vision: “Good nutrition fuels your body, contributes to healthy eyes and can even influence how your mind functions.”
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4)
- 800 g cold seedless watermelon (without skin)
- 250 g Persian or goats feta
- 100 g rocket leaves
- small bunch freshly chopped parsley leaves or few handfuls micro herbs
- ½ small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 pomegranate
- 60 g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- cold pressed olive oil to drizzle
- Slice the watermelon into thin bit sized wedges.
- Wash the rocket leaves and arrange onto a serving platter.
- Add the watermelon and gently mix through the leaves.
- Top with parsley or micro herbs and red sliced onion.
- Remove the seeds from the pomegranate and add to the salad along with pistachio nuts.
- Drizzle with cold pressed olive oil just before serving.
Every Thursday, our Envision Optical blog brings you ‘Nutrition Thursday’ – news about nutrition for your eye health. Keep an eye on our Facebook page and like us to receive the reminders once they are posted. Each week we also include a delicious recipe for you to make: www.facebook.com/envisionoptical