Following are some sensible tips for making sure your eyes are safe and protected and hazards are avoided:
EYE SAFETY AROUND THE HOUSE
- When necessary call in an expert with the appropriate skills and protection.
- If doing the job yourself, investigate ways to reduce the risk of eye damage.
- Take special care when using cleaning products or harsh chemicals.
- Wear safety goggles or a face shield when using powerful chemicals to protect your eyes from splashes and fumes.
EYE SAFETY AROUND THE GARDEN
- Pick up stones and twigs before mowing the lawn
- Keep others away from the mowing area
- Wear safety glasses or goggles especially when chopping or splitting wood, trimming bushes and trees, or using whipper snippers.
- Be careful when using octopus straps. Pull the strap to the side of the body rather than towards the face.
EYE SAFETY IN THE WORKSHOP & DIY
- Always wear goggles or safety glasses when appropriate, preferably rated medium impact.
- Read the instructions for all tools and chemicals before use.
- Keep all tools and power equipment in good repair.
- Extinguish cigarettes or matches before working around flamable material or opening the bonnet of a car.
- Always wear eye protection when sawing, or hammering.