Welcome to 2017! I cannot believe another year has just come and gone.
I am not much for new years resolutions however I do believe that the beginning of every year is an opportune time to contemplate what could be done better in 2017.
As an Optometrist I often hear that from a general health perspective our eyes are something that get overlooked and our sight taken for granted. We tend to only think about our eyes when something goes wrong with our sight.
With this in mind I thought it would be apt to give you my top 5 tips for supporting eye health in 2017.
1) Schedule an eye exam: Just because your vision doesn’t seem to change much from one year to another doesn’t mean that an eye health professional won’t detect things you can’t. Annual eye exams can also catch the early onset of certain chronic conditions, such as diabetes or high blood pressure and many serious eye conditions don’t have any symptoms until it is too late.
2) Wear your sunglasses: Even during the winter time, UV rays can still cause damage to your eyes. No matter the time of year, eye protection is always a good idea, and make sure you consult an Optometrist when choosing your sunglasses as not all glasses provide protection.
3) Check your prescription: If you have glasses or contact lenses but notice that you’re getting more headaches from eye strain, it might be time to re-evaluate your prescription. Your vision can and does change over time.
4) Prevent eye strain: In the digital age, it’s almost impossible to escape the glow of a blue screen. Many of us spend eight hour days behind a computer at work, only to come home and spend a few hours on Twitter or Facebook to wind down. Give your eyes a break!
5) Improve your diet by adding eye health super foods: Adding antioxidant-rich foods such as berries and green, leafy vegetables to your diet are a great, healthy way to keep your eyes-and your body-in good shape.
When was the last time you had your eyes tested?
Every Thursday, our Envision Optical blog brings you ‘Nutrition Thursday’ – news about nutrition for your eye health. Keep an eye on our Facebook page and like us to receive the reminders once they are posted. Each week we also include a delicious recipe for you to make: www.facebook.com/envisionoptical