Why Asparagus is Good News for Your Eyes.
It’s spring and with asparagus being a spring vegetable it’s the perfect ingredient to talk about while it’s in season. Asparagus is a great source of Vitamin A, which helps protect against night blindness and dry eyes. You can learn more about dry eyes on our YouTube channel. Alongside Vitamin A, asparagus is also a good source of Vitamin C, which may reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration. Remember, Zeaxanthin that we have talked about many times that is important for your macular health? The good news is it is found in asparagus as well! Enjoy this one it looks delicious.
Baked Asparagus with Oregano, Fetta and Lime Zest
This week we bring you a tasty and healthy, Baked Asparagus with Oregano, Fetta and Lime Zest recipe.
- 2 bunches asparagus
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- 100g fetta, crumbled
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon wild oregano, dried
- juice 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon dill, chopped (optional)
How to Make in 6 Easy Steps:
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Wash asparagus and place in baking dish. Season with salt and pepper, then scatter crumbled fetta over the top.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan or skillet over low heat. Add garlic, lemon zest and oregano and cook, stirring, until the garlic is lightly golden.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in lemon juice and pour over asparagus and fetta.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- Garnish with dill, if using, and serve.
Original recipe by Maria Bernardis of Greekalicious in ‘feast your eyes’, an eye health cookbook compiled by Minas and Hellene Coroneo. Copies of the book are available through the Genetic Eye Foundation – www.gef.org.au/cookbook.htm
You can also find more about Greekalicious at www.greekalicious.com.au
Every Thursday, our Envision Optical blog brings you ‘Nutrition Thursday’ – news about nutrition for your eye health. Keep an eye on our Facebook page and like us to receive the reminders once they are posted. Each week we also include a delicious recipe for you to make: www.facebook.com/envisionoptical